OK my friend, how are you doing so far? Still feeling motivated and riding the New Year momentum? If that describes you…yippee!!! I’m super excited for you 🙂
For others, maybe doubts, fears, insecurities, and overwhelm are setting in. Yikes!! This is a good time to reassess your goals and see if they are really what YOU want.
If you find you are really struggling, it’s time to have a serious heart to heart with yourself…(check yo’self before you wreck yo’self sister!)
A couple of tips:
- Are your goals really yours? Not “I should do this” goals
- Are they realistic? “I want to go from $1,000/month to $20,000/month by March” NOT realistic
- Do you really, really care about the goals you’ve made? (See the first tip)
- Are they clear and action oriented? (S-specific, M-measurable, A-actionable, R-realistic, T-timely) SMART-a tried and true approach to setting goals…bottom line; it works people!
- Do you have your WHY clarified?
OK, you’ve been nodding your head vigorously (‘cuz you totally rock); now let’s talk about keeping yourself motivated. Below are some of my favorite strategies (good stuff here my friends!)
- Create your own Motivating Music list to play when you need a pick up (some of mine: Nickelback-If Today Was Your Last Day; FloRida-Club Can’t Handle Me; anything by Stevie Wonder; T.I. w/Rihanna-Live Your Life; Jesus Jones-Right Here, Right Now; New Radicals-You Get What You Give)
2. Download a few of your favorite Video Clips:
- Get up and move. Go outside and talk a walk for 15 minutes. If it’s too cold, put your dance mix on and ‘whip your hair’ for a few minutes;-). Get the blood moving to the gray matter!
- Become self aware. What is your present state? Do you feel overwhelmed? Confused? Frustrated? Out of control? Know your feelings and then you can be proactive about changing them.
- Get support. Call (or reach out through social media) to a friend, a trusted advisor, a mentor, a coach.
- Don’t call it quits if you fell off the wagon. If you think the goal is worthwhile, get back on your wagon baby.
- Aim for excellence…not perfection.
- Think big and start small. Whether you want to lose 50 lbs, make a million dollars, or pursue your passion, it all starts with small, consistent actions.
OK, so I think you have a pretty good list to start with 🙂
What are your favorite tips to stay motivated? Let’s help each other out!
Shannon Cherry says
Great motivators, Danielle!
I’m lucky because I have a few friends like you who will kick my @$$ if I lose my mojo!
But another one I have is Big Picture (Literally) Goal on my wall. I look at it and know that’s where I need to be heading.
LOL…thank you my friend for stopping by today:) You have read my mind, because I will speaking more in depth on that very subject later this month. I love the BPG (big picture goal), especially as I know what a mind mapping maniac you are…not!
Seriously though, your comment will lead beautifully into my post on writing and visualization!
Thanks for the awesome tip:)
Ted Nguyen says
Thank you for these spot-on tips to keep me on track for my goals. I appreciate the practical advice, particularly Ferlinghetti that I have too many expectations I’ve placed on myself. This post helps me re-examine those and will help me reprioritize.
I appreciate your work to inspire and to motivate us toward personal and professional excellence!
Thank you so much for stopping by:-) I am inspired by the excellence I see you and others putting forth every day. High expectations are amazing motivators of what you can accomplish, but make sure to take time to celebrate all those wins you’re having.
june spindloe says
Love this post about motivation and momentum..
I have just made a vision board and have it hanging above my desk, I also changed my screensaver to a picture of me looking happy and sitting on the beach in the Cayman Islands (one of mt goals to go visit my daughter this year) i was wearing a wrist band reminder for a few weeks to SNAP me back into action when i heard myself becoming negative and yes, sign up to lots of positive newsletters, tweets and anything else that keeps you in the Zone …
Ahhh….I love vision boards:-) make sure that pics of you are in your vision board too! I LOVE the wrist band reminder…so much more elegant than the rubber band;-)
I love your optimistic outlook and the way you are taking positive ACTIONS to put yourself into your own recipe for success. I bet you will ROCK 2011!
Thank you so much for stopping by and keep us in the loop on how your goals are going!