How often do you feel stressed? What do you consider stress? I’ve come to the conclusion that the word stress means different things to different people. On a daily basis we deal with frustrations (that was me today!), pressure, conflict, change, uncertainty, and what I like to call “drama” (you know those little situations that OTHER people like to blow out of proportion).
We cannot eliminate stress from our lives. We tend to equate stress with unpleasant situations, but even changes we see in a positive light (a promotion, a new job, a new baby,etc.) can often be stressful and difficult to adjust to for a period of time.
It’s important to be fully in tune with ourselves both physically and psychologically in order to deal with the stress in our lives. Being able to cope with stress is a lifelong application; it’s a process of being able to meet life’s challenges in a way that is constructive as opposed to destructive. We often don’t realize that we have more control over our stress level than we think. Remember that it is how we perceive events, rather than the events themselves that determine our stress levels.
While some people seem to have inherent personality traits to deal with stress, there are characteristics that can be enhanced in order to help you deal with stressful situations.
- Feeling in control- people who tolerate stress better also feel they have control over not only themselves, but their reactions to events themselves. Accepting 100% responsibility (GULP!) for your success or lack thereof are crucial to helping you manage your reactions to stressful situations. They know that they cannot blame outside factors for their reactions to a given experience.
- Flexibility- Those who handle stressful situations can “flex” or adapt more quickly than their counterparts who get “wigged” out every time that wind blows. They recognize that the have the ability to change and adapt to what’s going on around them rather than resisting to things over which they cannot control.
- Getting rid of “catastrophe” thinking- Do you love or avoid a challenge? Do you see situations as “dire” or a chance to learn and grow? Are you terrified of failing or being thought of as a failure?
- Clear vision- People who handle stress in a healthy way have a very clear vision of who they are, what they stand for, have well-defined goals, and a determined mindset in order to achieve what they want.
So how do you cultivate these traits yourself?
- Get crystal clear on your vision and the 3-5 values that are essential to your core.
- Create concrete SMART goals for yourself.
- Change self-defeating thoughts and behaviors
- Cultivate more humor in your daily routine
- Prioritize tasks (time management)
By incorporating more of these key characteristics, you get keep stress to a manageable level in your life. Some strategies may be more helpful to you than others, it’s important to be aware of what works best for you!
Want to learn more?
Coming soon!!! My complete Recipe for Life System designed to help you live a delicious, fulfilling life! Keep checking back!
What are some of your favorite ways of dealing with stress?? Would love to hear your recipe!