I live in a part of the country that has a large population of Amish folk and this time of year they are gearing up for weddin’ season. What this means for those of us who are the “English” is that getting from here to there involves passing quite a few buggies as they make their way to a particular farm for the marriage ceremony and celebration.
One morning, as I was contemplating whether or not it might be faster to just pull over, get out of my car and run past them (not really, but I’m not at my most patient early in the day), I noticed that most of the horses had blinders on. I mean that’s a very normal thing, as this helps the horse focus on what’s in front of it and not get distracted by cars, etc. Nothing unusual there at all, except…
It occurred to me that most people could benefit from wearing “success blinders”. One of the biggest time wasters in your pursuit of success is lack of focus. People who achieve and experience the most success are basically wearing “success blinders”. They stay focused on the goal in front of them and are not distracted by things that are in their peripheral vision.
So what are some tips for putting on your “success blinders”?
- Take the time to plan your day…seriously that 10-15 minutes will do amazing things for your productivity!
- Prioritize your tasks (what will benefit you or your bottom line the most today?)
- Write your plan down! I cannot emphasize this enough!!!! (notice the exclamation points)
- Look at your most challenging task and figure out why it is so difficult (lack of information, fear) and confront those issues head on.
- Recognize that you and you alone are responsible for how your day turns out
- Know your most productive energy patterns and make the most of them
What do your “success blinders” look like? What are the tools you use to stay focused and productive?
Do you struggle with being distracted and gaining clarity of focus? My Cravin’IT program deals specifically with those challenges, as well as goal setting, shifting your mindset, and finding your ‘secret ingredients’!
Leave a Reply