Today as I was driving in town for a doctor appointment, I noticed that there seemed to be an awful lot of buggies out on the road….(if you aren’t aware, I live in a part of the country where there are a heavy population of Amish, who use horse and buggies as their mode of transportation).
As I was weaving my way around about a bazillion buggies (ok, maybe not THAT many, but it sure seemed like it!), I was counting how man of the horses had blinders on (how half, in case you were wondering). The reason for the blinders is so that the horse looks neither to the right nor to the left, but is focused straight ahead in order to eliminate distractions.
As I was keeping myself occupied by counting the blinders, it occurred to me that most people could benefit from wearing “success blinders”. One of the biggest time wasters in your pursuit of success is lack of focus. People who achieve and experience the most success are basically wearing “success blinders”. They stay focused on the goal in front of them and are not distracted by things that are in their peripheral vision.
So what are some tips for putting on your “success blinders”?
- Take the time to plan your day…seriously that 10-15 minutes will do amazing things for your productivity!
- Prioritize your tasks (what will benefit you or your bottom line the most today?)
- Write your plan down! I cannot emphasize this enough!!!! (notice the exclamation points)
- Look at your most challenging task and figure out why it is so difficult (lack of information, fear) and confront those issues head on.
- Recognize that you and you alone are responsible for how your day turns out
- Recognize and be willing to pay the price for success
What do your “success blinders” look like? What are the tools you use to stay focused and productive? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
The Toolbox Teacher