I always thought I was one of those people who didn’t need to write my goals down. In fact, for a long time I prided myself on the fact that I didn’t need to write anything down. Things to do, errands, appts., lists…pfffttt! I had a steel trap mind baby…in a weird way, I considered it a sign of weakness if I had to write stuff down.
And then a combination of circumstances happened.
1. I got older and wiser
2. My profession revolved around writing goals and objectives
3. I figured out and defined what I really wanted in life
4. I diligently studied every piece of self development material I could get my hands on
5. And more recently… I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is notorious for ‘brain fog’ (fibro fog).
And what did I learn from the above? To put it bluntly, you gotta write down what you want. Without getting all technical and brainiacish on you, writing things down turns on your RAS (reticulator activating system).
Your RAS is believed to be responsible for functions like sleeping and waking, behavioral motivation, breathing, you know…sort of the important stuff
It’s the ‘attention center’ of your brain basically.
Think of it this way…did you ever write out your grocery list, get to the grocery store, realize you forgot the list, but still managed to get most if not all of the items on the list???
Now imagine if this works for remembering to buy hamburger rolls…how would if work if your goal was to increase your revenue by 30% this year?
As an aside, I did extensive work on the RAS and students with ADD/ADHD when I taught in the classroom (part of my graduate work many moons ago ), so I know a little sumpin, sumpin about it.
So, here are a few reasons that writing down what you want is so important:
- Once it’s ‘out’ of your mind, it frees up the mental space for your subconscious to concentrate on the ‘how’ of reaching your goals.
- It’s a multisensory approach (the more senses you use, the more entrenched the thought pattern becomes)
- It forces you to get clarity and focus around what you want.
If you need a little jumpstart in writing down your goals, then The Essential Ingredients Playbook is the perfect way to get started. Get your copy today by entering your name and email above and start writing!