Definition of Authentic-
true to one’s own personality, spirit, or character
Not false or imitation
There are a few other definitions, but these are the two that we use as guidelines when discussing living an ‘authentic’ life or as Webster so succinctly puts it: true to one’s self.
Sounds so incredibly easy doesn’t it? You think “Well this should be a piece of cake.” I’m real, I’m authentic, no imitation here, right?
Ahhhh…but when you really start messing around in this authentic mire, it turns out that being real kinda requires some work. It takes courage, perseverance, confidence, honesty, and going beyond what you have always considered ‘truth’ about yourself and digging even deeper into your ‘layers’
And I’m not talking about your simple 2 layers of cake with filling in it…I’m talking about wedding cake layers or sacher torte (which after all, are really the most delicious right?) lots of layers and fillings, were each bite is a new discovery and taste sensation…like life should be lived!
I tend to chafe and squirm over words and phrases like ‘authentic’, ‘living your best life’, ‘brilliance’, ‘empowered’, ‘transformation’ (pick any popular self development word) not because I don’t believe in them, but because they get so diluted and we become immune to them after hearing them over and over again. I often wonder…why do we not think we aren’t authentic now?
We, as human beings, are made up of layers: layers of beliefs about ourselves, layers of expectations, layers of thoughts, layers of experiences, layers of our innate personality traits, layers of behaviors, layers of our roles, layers of possibilities…lots of layers!
So how do you blend all of your layers into a delicious authentic you? Let’s dig in;-)
- Feel the Fear-when you are unsure of taking a course of action, narrow down exactly what you are afraid of and why
- Where is the fear coming from? In other words, whose voice is it coming from?
- Get around the fear-what is a step that you can take in spite of being fearful?
- Listen to your intuition
- Self care is essential to blending your layers into something delicious
- If it doesn’t feel right don’t do it, say it, or allow it to drain your energy
- Know (and live by) that which you value most
- Feel what you feel at any given time (if you’re angry, sad, cranky, acknowledge it and work through it)
Recognizing that we are all made up of many layers and embracing all of them is a vital step in living your authentic life. This is a concept that I cover in depth in my new Cravin’IT ™ program. Are you ready to Create the Life YOU Crave?