Twenty-one. The magical year of adulthood and endless possibilities. Of owning the world and living fearlessly.
on this day 21 years ago, a fuzzy little peach of a baby was born.
She came into this world under great stress and uncertainty; but when I finally got to hold her 3 days after she was born, I fell deeply and hopelessly in love.
This middle child has at times been the bane of my existence and also the light of my life. She is the only daughter and the only envelope pusher of all 3 children.
She is: quirky, sweet, naïve, annoying, kind, independent, cranky, impulsive, funny, creative, argumentative, generous, inquisitive, a drama queen, resilient…she is unabashedly herself.
On this milestone birthday dear Daughter, I am passing on some life lessons that I wish I would have known at 21…love, mom
- If you play the Blame Game you will never win; (wo)man up
- It’s exhausting trying to be something you’re not
- It is not someone else’s job to make you happy…only you can do that
- Simplicity really is best
- This too, shall pass
- Time does not heal all wounds, but creates scars of experience and wisdom
- Life is so much better when you accept 100% responsibility for it
- Change yourself instead of trying to change others
- When in doubt, one small action starts the process of clarity
- Life is not fair…deal
- Forgiveness isn’t about freeing the other person…it’s about freeing you
- Girlfriends are one of life’s greatest joys
- Being happy trumps being right…every time
- There is no such thing as “I didn’t have a choice”. You do
- Plan the work, work the plan
- Laughter really is the best medicine
- You can have anything you want in life…you just have to know what it is that you really want
- Surround yourself with those who refuse to let you be anything but your best
- You are imperfectly perfect
- Be grateful
- The best is yet to come
Wishing you a happy birthday and most importantly, a happy life.