“Ready or not…here I come!”
Jaxson looked at me with big eyes and a huge grin on his face. I kept saying “shhhh, Paw-Paw will hear us”.
It was no use; my little cutie pie grandson couldn’t control his giggles and Paw-Paw quickly found us (to Jaxson’s delight!).
Playing hide and seek with Jaxson is one of our favorite things to do (ahhh…the joys of granparenting!), even though he doesn’t quite grasp the concept of being ready and hiding and waiting for Paw-Paw to find us.
In working with clients over the years, I have found that one of the biggest blocks to crafting a strong, resonant, and aligned brand is…being ready.
We never feel ‘ready’ do we?
We don’t know enough
We don’t have enough experience
We don’t feel capable enough
We fear visibility
We fear judgment, critics, and haters
We’re uncomfortable with vulnerability
We don’t want to fail
We aren’t the “expert”
We aren’t familiar with the technology
And I use the pronoun “we” because I’ve been there; many, many times (more on that in a moment).
Did I cover most of them?
And what are you?
I’m willing to bet that you are:
So what is the antidote to not being ready?
Well there are a few things you can do:
- Get clear…Clarity is the true queen in this game.
- Prepare the best you can, but recognize that you cannot possibly foresee every bump, hiccup, and obstacle that may (and probably will) come up
- Put supports in place; mentors, coaches, whatever will help you move into doing
- Remember that you won’t ever be ready unless you start doing
- Be open and develop the mindset of exploration and experimentation; a perspective of play rather than expectations
- Change your lens…rather than worrying about being ready, consider how dragging your feet is not helping those you want to serve
Just so you know, I’m walking my talk here. Starting August 1st, I am going to be hosting an HOA (Hangout On Air) Show on Google Plus called The Empowered Brand…the Journey to Imprint, Influence, and Impact in the Digital Age (this is the working title; stay tuned!).
I had to find the equilibrium of time that would allow me to prepare and yet not allow me to dwell in the realm of I’m Not Ready.
Am I nervous…yup
Will I feel like I’m not ready with the technology…oh indeed
BUT…I know this can and will add value to entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, and those who believe that they are their business…clarity, honey.
Want to move past “I’m not ready” and into “Let’s Roll” territory?